Monday, October 01, 2007



I could not bring myself to leave the house all weekend, or what bit of weekend I caught. The weather is perfect, and I knew about the 9:00 A:M Sunday Joe's ride. I was awake at 6:15 A:M and could easily have made it, but the jones for a clean and peaceful nest was too great. I wanted a chicken in the pot, fresh sheets on the bed. When I return from a trip of any length, I feel a bit like the madman, the ranting lunatic. By leaving I see Tallahassee, my life, and your lives as well through the magnifying glass of nostalgic optimism. I magnify all of our traits. For instance, in my class last week I was proselytizing about Publix, where shopping is a pleasure. It doesn't matter that they insist on wrapping their vegetables in little Styrofoam boats, they are the best grocery store in the history of the world! I will lead people to believe that lake Ella is actually a lake. I will claim the canopy roads run everywhere, and happy children wave from the branches of Live Oaks as you ride your bike to work. I tell people that my friends are fascinating people who enjoy discussing art and literature, Geo-politics and the impact of hip hop on white American culture. They build things with their hands and they play rock and roll music.


Then I come home and behave as though it were all true all the time.


-Juancho

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

You must be buttah......cause you know you on a roll!
w.b.

That Hank said...

Okay, so maybe small children don't wave from the live oaks - but Publix is still the best chain grocery store in the history of the world. And Lake Ella is a lake, if you squint and don't think too hard about it.

Anonymous said...

When the Professor and I moved to more northern environs, one of the things we missed the most was shopping at Publix. It truly is a pleasure. You don't really notice it until you slog through a Kroger or two. If that company ever goes public, I will be first in line to buy shares.

Dr. Detroit

AucillaSinks said...

Plublix (as my son pronounces it), oozes its tag line.
Living just two blocks from the Lake Ella Plublix, I find that I average about eight grocery runs a week. It's ridiculous but a pleasure.

nicol said...

While living in Tally, I used to shop at the Publix near Lake Ella as well. I concur, it WAS a pleasure. Fabulous muffins at that establishment, I tell ya.

And, regardless of the size, Lake Ella is still a lake in my book.

Juancho said...

I believe the correct term for it is "impoundment".

sop it up!

Ms. Moon said...

I often consider going to work at Publix, just so I could buy stock. Lord knows I'm there so often that working there would hardly be a change in my routine. Sort of.
This is a good time of year to be in love with Tallahassee and North Florida in general.
And Juancho- I know what you mean about coming home. I call it peeing in the corners- I have to reclaim my territory. I don't really pee in the corners. I actually sweep and tidy up and usually make soup. Then it feels like home again.

Juancho said...

I might, on occasion, pee in an actual corner.

gravy said...

I went to publix schools and learned a hole bunches.

sasquatch said...

Can you get an X-Box up into the branches of a Live Oak tree? Do they have electical outlets that high up on the trunk?

hitops said...

Muffin-sated friends:
Squelch the chainstore serenade.
Consume, yes. Praise not.

Juancho said...

Oh no he didn't just hate on Publix!

nicol said...

I think he did.

That Hank said...

I did enjoy the haiku, even if I dismiss the sentiment.