Friday, January 11, 2008

Clydesdale Hall of Fame

Sir Edmund Hillary
(Pictured on left with Tenzing Norgay)



I just saw that Sir Edmund Hillary passed away last night at 88. Coincidentally I am reading "Three Cups of Tea", a book about a guy who was inspired to build schools and hospitals in Pakistan for the people who live and work under the shadow of K2, in the spirit of the work Hillary did for the Sherpa people.

Damn, first Evel- now this. The world is getting awfully short on heroes these days.

At least we still have Bigworm.

On other fronts, many of you are on your way to knock that bastard, San Felasco, off this weekend. I do wish you the best and regret that I will not be joining you. If I can sort out the technical details I will post a promotional video featuring the best riders of our area, which I received from BW.

After all my talk of travel angels, I may have fallen a little short yesterday with a couple of people, unless you look at it in an avenging archangel Gabriel kind of way.

That simpering effete from North Dakota with the smart mouth had it coming.

-Juancho

4 comments:

AucillaSinks said...

This seems a good time to pull out my all time favorite quote:

"You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know."
— RenĂ© Daumal

Juancho said...

yep, and remember.

Ample said...

yep

reverend dick said...

Did you see the Cohen Bros. film "Intolerable Cruelty"? Tenzig Norgay, indeed.