Thursday, July 16, 2009

Woodschopper



It is warm here in Alabama. Not heatwave hot, but steamy like the meatball pan at a Subway sandwich shop. I did not let that stop me from gutting out a fantastic loop at jewel of the South, Oak Mountain State Park.

I arranged a little play date with a colleague who made the unfortunate choice of telling me he rode mountain bikes. Not wanting to take any chances I opted for the more brutal counter-clockwise (I think?) option of climbing to the ridge up the jeep road and bombing down through Blood Rock as an early assessment. Ex-Navy Seal worked in his favor, residing in flat Pensacola did not.

He is a game fellow and we got the whole 17 mile loop in before reporting for work at 10:00 A:M. If we had taken much longer someone would have mopped us off the deck as we melted into the road. If it wasn't my favorite Joe's Bike Shop jersey I would throw it out. I'm avoiding the obvious- it will never smell right again.

I felt good, out there chopping that wood. Riding bikes is hard work.

Juancho

8 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

Man, you have got your blog on.
I like it.

sasquatch said...

O.K. that's impressive -- 17 miles of ridgerocky singletrack with some hard climbing, in the oven, with an unknown, potential assassin, and all before reporting in to work at 10:00 A.M. with said humbled assassin in tow.

That's my boy right there. Ya'll better keep an eye out.

Anonymous said...

get some!
And that thing hadn't smelled right in years.

May said...

That's what she said.

Christopher said...

Add one cup of white, distlled vinegar to your load of bike clothes. The smell will disappear.

Human Wrecking Ball said...

Funny comments. I have nothing to add except, that now those boys in the panhandle know how we do it. Hell wheel, scmell week!

Human Wrecking Ball said...

wheel=week, sorry it was a fruedian endo.

Juancho said...

that's what...ah you know.